Python Introduction To Programming¶
Python is a high-level and interpreted programming language. It is created by Guido van Rossum. Python first released in 1991, Python has a good design philosophy. It provides features like code readability, and a syntax that allows fewer lines of code to implement functionality compare to other programming languages. Python is a general purpose programming language.
History of python¶
- Python was conceived in the late 1980s, and its implementation began in December 1989 by Guido van Rossum at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) in the Netherlands as a successor to the ABC language (itself inspired by SETL) capable of exception handling and interfacing with the operating system Amoeba.
- Rossum was fan of a comedy series from late seventies. The name "Python" was taken from the same series "Monty Python's Flying Circus".
Features of Python Programming¶
- A simple language which is easier to learn
- Free and open source Portability (run code in any platform)
- Extensible and embeddable(c, c++, etc)
- A high level interpreted language
- Large standard libraries to solve common problems
- Supports object oriented programming
Applications of python¶
Web and Internet Development
Scientific and Numeric
- Python is a superb language for teaching programming, both at the introductory level and in more advanced courses.
- Books such as How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, and Practical Programming.
- Python used as a supporting language for software developers along with other programming languages.
- Python is used in automation of software processes.
- Also used for build, control and management, testing and in many other ways.
- SCons for build control.
- Buildbot and Apache Gump for automated continuous compilation and testing.
- Roundup or Trac for bug tracking and project management.
Before start programming in python, we have to install python software. To install python software go to https://www.python.org/downloads/ and download and install the python software which is compatible with your operating system.
Python program - "Hello World"¶
print("Hello World") when we run the above code the python interpreter will give output "Hello World".
What is a program ?¶
- A program is a sequence of instructions that tells how to solve a given problem. For example, Finding a square of a number. Basic terminology of programming
- Input: Get data from the keyboard, a file, or some other device.
- Math: Perform basic mathematical operations like addition and multiplication.
- Conditional execution: Check for certain conditions and execute the appropriate sequence of statements.
- Repetition: Perform some action repeatedly, usually with some variation.
- Output: Display data on the screen or send data to a file or other device.
When we run any program it takes the input **and **processes the given input and produces the processed output.