Python Introduction to programming
Python is a high-level and interpreted programming language. It is created by Guido van Rossum. Python first released in 1991, Python has a good design philosophy. It provides features like code readability, and a syntax that allows fewer lines of code to implement functionality compare to other programming languages. Python is a general purpose programming language.
History of python
- Python was conceived in the late 1980s, and its implementation began in December 1989 by Guido van Rossum at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) in the Netherlands as a successor to the ABC language (itself inspired by SETL) capable of exception handling and interfacing with the operating system Amoeba.
- Rossum was fan of a comedy series from late seventies. The name "Python" was taken from the same series "Monty Python's Flying Circus".
Features of Python Programming
- A simple language which is easier to learn
- Free and open source Portability (run code in any platform)
- Extensible and embeddable(c, c++, etc)
- A high level interpreted language
- Large standard libraries to solve common problems
- Supports object oriented programming
Applications of python
- Web and Internet Development
- Scientific and Numeric
- Python is a superb language for teaching programming, both at the introductory level and in more advanced courses.
- Books such as How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, and Practical Programming.
- Desktop GUIs
- Software Development
- Python used as a supporting language for software developers along with other programming languages.
- Python is used in automation of software processes.
- Also used for build, control and management, testing and in many other ways.
- SCons for build control.
- Buildbot and Apache Gump for automated continuous compilation and testing.
- Roundup or Trac for bug tracking and project management.
- Business Applications
Before start programming in python, we have to install python software. To install python software go to https://www.python.org/downloads/ and download and install the python software which is compatible with your operating system.
Python program - "Hello World"
when we run the above code the python interpreter will give output "Hello World".
What is a program ?
- A program is a sequence of instructions that tells how to solve a given problem. For example, Finding a square of a number.
Basic terminology of programming
- Input: Get data from the keyboard, a file, or some other device.
- Math: Perform basic mathematical operations like addition and multiplication.
- Conditional execution: Check for certain conditions and execute the appropriate sequence of statements.
- Repetition: Perform some action repeatedly, usually with some variation.
- Output: Display data on the screen or send data to a file or other device.
When we run any program it takes the input and processes the given input and produces the processed output.
keywords in Python
We have a list of keywords in python are used to create programs. keywords are just like the words in the natural languages like english, telugu, hindi, german, etc. Python has 32 keywords which are reserved by the python interpreter.
and as assert break class continue def del elif else except exec finally for from global if import in is labmda not or pass print raise return while with yield